Lakeshore Memory Clinic
The Lakeshore Memory Clinic is a collaboration between Holy Family Memorial and Felician Village, and is an affiliate of the Wisconsin Alzheimer's Institute (WAI) Dementia Diagnostic Clinic Network. This specialty clinic provides proper evaluation, diagnosis, education and management to help ease the challenges of day-to-day care and keep your loved one safe. The clinic is located on the Felician Village campus at 1635 S. 21st Street in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.
When to seek help
- Memory loss that disrupts daily life
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks
- Confusion with time, place or people
- New problems with words in speaking, writing or repeating
- Misplacing or hiding things
- Withdrawal from activities
- Changes in mood and personality
- Challenges in planning or problem solving
Benefits of a memory evaluation
- The symptoms may be treatable or reversible
- Certain treatments are more effective when started early
- Understanding changes can help avoid other medical issues
- A diagnosis allows you and your family to seek education, find support services, and make informed decisions and plans about your future
What to expect?
A treatment team consisting of a licensed psychologist, family nurse practitioner, and a certified dementia specialist will meet with the patient as well as family members. A family medicine physician is also available on an as needed basis. The initial appointment will take approximately two hours.
During this visit you will undergo a physical exam, review of your memory, thinking, and problem-solving skills. Staff will ask questions about medications, sleep, health, mood, and ability to perform daily tasks. You may undergo brain imaging scans and blood tests.
After the assessment, memory clinic staff will explain the results at either your appointment or during a follow-up visit. Based on your diagnosis, clinic staff will review options for treatment including medications, healthy lifestyle recommendations and offer information about community support services.