History of Felician Village's senior living communities
We were the first to sign on 20 years ago. We still enjoy dining services, happy hours, events and other benefits. View All Testimonials

History

The Felician Sisters have been providing compassionate service to those in need in the City of Manitowoc since 1887. Five sisters made their way from Polonia, Wis., to begin their ministry to the poor, the orphaned, and the elderly on this very site for more than 120 years. In 1934, St. Mary’s Home for the Aged began with its singular purpose to care for the elderly.

Blessed Angela Truszkowska, Foundress of the Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Felix, also known as the Felician Sisters, firmly believed that wherever there was a need, the Felician Sisters would make their services available to all. Felician Village continues to carry out the mission and vision established by Blessed Angela through its compassionate care for those in need.

The campus has grown from a single ministry to one that offers a variety of services to the senior community. The work of these early sisters has flourished into what is now known as Felician Village: a continuum-of-care campus which serves needs through independent living at The Gardens, rehabilitative services at Next Step, assisted living at The Court and The Villa, and skilled nursing care at St. Mary’s Home.

Next Step Rehabilitation Center offers inpatient and outpatient care, physical and occupational therapy, and speech and language pathology.

The Gardens, independent living garden homes and apartments, was built in several phases in the late 1980s. The Gardens includes 102 apartments and 20 garden homes. One, two and three-bedroom floor plans are provided.

The Court, state-certified residential care apartment complex (RCAC) with assisted living apartments, was opened in 1998 with 32 one and two-bedroom apartments. In 2010, an addition added 16 more apartments to bring the total to 48 apartments. That same project included a new kitchen and dining room.

The Villa, originally opened in 2003 as a community-based residential facility (CBRF) commonly referred to as a group home, accommodating eight residents at each villa. In May 2009, a new building was constructed. The Villa now has two households with room for 16 residents in each. One of the households is designed for individuals who have early- to mid-stage dementia and includes activities and programming for this type of individual.

St. Mary's Home, a skilled nursing facility (SNF) specializing in long-term care, has four households with 16 residents in each. One secure household is dedicated to the care of residents with dementia.

For more than 120 years, the Felician Sisters in Manitowoc have demonstrated tenacity, competence and responsiveness to those in need. They have continued to adapt to the changes in the Church and in the world. Felician Village is a reflection of our continued response to the Manitowoc County community.

To learn more about our sponsors, please visit the Felician Sisters provincial website at feliciansistersna.org.